Olive McCarthy is a Partner and family law specialist solicitor qualified in 2000, she is based in the St Albans office of Taylor Walton. She can best be described as an experienced lawyer who always strives to meet a client’s objectives.
She is also a Family Law Arbitrator, as an alternative to Court proceedings, she is able to make decisions (Arbitral Awards) in family matters where she has been appointed by the parties’ representatives with such decisions being incorporated into a Court Order and binding on the parties, one of only an elite few in the UK qualified to do this. Olive promotes, where appropriate and possible, a conciliatory approach to issues. She believes in striking a balance between being sympathetic and understanding, whilst also commanding an assertive and proactive approach to matters.
Olive specialises in resolving medium to high net worth financial disputes all that they encompass on a separation between couples and in divorce proceedings.
Olive studied at University of Hertfordshire (St Albans) for her degree which included all core law subjects as well as economics, philosophy, sociology, criminology and politics. She also studied at London College of Law and holds the following accreditations –
- Law Society Family Law Panel since 2003
- Resolution member since 2003
- Collaborative Lawyer since 2009
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Arbitrators since February 2013 – Family Law Arbitrator
Previously a Trustee of the ‘domestic violence forum’ of East Herts and Broxbourne from 2003 to 2016 as well being the honorary solicitor to Citizens Advice Bureau for Hertford, Ware and Broxbourne outlets for a similar period.
- Successfully concluded complex Schedule 1/TOLATA claim surrounding a right to buy discount property and Personal Injury Trust resulting in a share of property for her client in addition to a home for her and her children together with 3 Costs Orders in her favour.
- Successfully represented a Respondent in a short marriage/12 year pre-marriage cohabitation with pre-acquired assets of the other party. Achieving equal split of all assets and an Order for Costs at trial for her client.
- Appeared on live webinars for Asset TV, financial advisors subscribed CPD as the legal expert in trusts, pensions and divorce with live questions and answers segment.
- Winner of Global International award for “Family Law firm in England 2014 and 2015”.
- Qualified as a Family Law Arbitrator in early 2013 having been part of selections in 2012.
- Concluded collaboratively complex HNW case with assets of circa £8m.
- Having set up the Hertford Contact Centre in 2008; maintained funding such that over 100 parents have had contact with their children and many more will continue to do so.